David’s Tricks to Organize Your Photos – 2019

David’s Tricks to Organize Your Photos – 2019

Hey folks. If you have trouble with organizing
your photos, don’t worry. Today, I’m going to teach you a workflow that I have perfected
over the years that will have your library cleaned up in no time fly. David’s Tricks
to Organize Your Photo Library, coming up next on Tech Talk America. Hey folks. Today, I’m teaching you a technique
that I’ve taught to hundreds. If not, thousands of my clients and today, it is my pleasure
to share it with all of you. Now, before we begin, we do have one very quick order of
business. Over the last several years, it has become increasingly difficult for me to
be able to make these videos in my current production space. It’s extremely crowded,
there’s a lot of interruptions and it’s become clear that the time has come to move to a
larger space. Now, my goal is to build a new production
studio, sometime in the next year. We’re not talking Paramount Pictures here. What I’m
looking to build is something around the size of a two-car garage with high ceilings. Now,
this is not going to be an inexpensive venture and while I’m prepared to pay for most of
the construction, I could really use your help. So, if you’ve enjoyed my videos over
the years, I’d really appreciate your support. You can contribute whatever amount you like,
either through Venmo at Tech Talk America by PayPal, which you can do right through
my website or if you prefer to use a good old-fashioned snail mail and a check, the
PO Box information is listed in the video description. I say this from the heart when I say that
I love my job, I love getting to make these videos for all of you and I would love to
be able to continue to do this for years to come. Okay. That’s it. Self-pitch done. That
wasn’t so bad, right? At this point, let’s get the class started and switch to my Mac. We are going to start by opening the photos
app and then, let’s navigate here to where it’s says “My Albums” on the left-hand side.
I’m going to guess that many of you probably already have a few albums that will appear
in this space. Now, this might sound scary, but my advice is that for this process to
work best, you really need to start with a clean slate and remember, deleting albums
does not actually delete the photos that are in the albums. We’re just basically removing
the filing structure because through this process, we are going to rebuild it in a way
that it’s much more organized. So, the trick here is to just click on any one of these
then on your keyboard, you can hit command and the letter A, as in Apple, that’s select
all, then you’re going to secondary click on any one of these and as scary as it may
seem, take a deep breath and click delete albums. The next step is we’re going to create a basic
folder structure where every folder will contain a year of photos which will then be broken
up and organized into albums. Now, the easy way to do this is to place your cursor just
to the right of where it says, “My Albums”, and then you’ll see a little plus icon appear.
So, let’s click that and select New Folder. And for now, I’m just going to name this folder
“2019”. My advice in general is to start in the present and then work your way backwards.
Also, if you do have a period of years where you don’t have as many photos as you would
for other years, you can also just name the folder to represent a span of time. So, for
example, you could say the 1990’s. Really, it’s about getting whatever structure works
for you. Unfortunately, Apple doesn’t for some strange reason, automatically sort these
folders into alphabetical order but the good news is, you can drag and drop them manually. The next step is we are going to begin the
process of creating a smart album for the year of photos that we’re going to be working
with. So, here in the side bar, let’s open our folder for 2019 and once again, we hover
our cursor over these area, so we get that little plus button but this time, we are going
to select “New Smart Album”. Okay, this next part is critical that you copy identically. Otherwise, it doesn’t work.
So, I’m going to ask that you pay a special close attention to this next part. We’re going
to start by naming our smart album and I like to keep things super consistent so let’s just
call it “2019.” The next step is we’re going to click here,
where it currently says “Photo” and change it to “Date Captured”. Now, in this next field,
we’re it currently says “Is”, we are going to change that to “Is in the range” and from
here, you can click into this first field and using a combination of the numbers on
your keyboard and the tab key to jump from field to field. Let’s now manually put in
these dates so that it goes from January 1st of 2019 through December 31st of 2019. And
you should know, it doesn’t matter if this second date has not yet happened. What I love
about this workflow, is it will auto update as the year progresses. After we have set
our date captured, there are still a few more things that we need to do. Let’s click the plus symbol to add a second
rule and you’ll notice that when I do that, before I create my second rule, I actually
need to go up here to the very top and see where it says “Match any of the following
conditions”, we need to change that to “Match all of the following conditions”. I’m telling
you; a lot of people miss this step and if you do, it’ll throw off the rest of the process. At this point, we need to create a second
condition. This maybe a little bit confusing so, let me just set it up and then I will
explain it. We are going to change this next line from “Date added” to “Album” then the
next field, we’re going to change from “Is” to “Is not” and this last field, we’re going
to leave as any. So, what this basically translates to, is we want to see all the photos that
were taken in a particular year, but we also want it to hide photos once they’ve been organized
into an album. Otherwise, you would have no way of knowing which of your photos have already
been organized. So, if everything looks good here, we can now click “Okay”. And the rest
of the process is easy. Now, before we continue, I just want you to take a quick look at the top of my screen
and notice the current number of photos that are in this smart album, just remember that
number for a moment, we’ll come back to it. From here, we can now go through all of these
photos that I took in the past year and now, we’re going to very quickly turn these into
groups of albums. And in order to do this, you do need to know how to use multiple selection
on a Mac. So, if you are already familiar with this, you can skip ahead to that time
code, but for the rest of you, let’s review this technique. Now, sometimes on the Mac, you want to do
something to a bunch of items, whether it’s deleting a bunch of emails, sharing a bunch
of files or in this case, selecting a group of photos to turn into an album. If all of
the photos are consecutive, you can simply click on the first photo in the group and
then, hold down the shift key on your keyboard then while still holding down that shift key,
you can scroll down to the last photo in your group and then click on it. As you can see
here, everything in between has now also been selected. Alternatively, if your photos are a little
bit scattered, you can instead hold down the command key and individually click the items
that you wish to select. I think I’ll use these photos that I took from a recent trip
to Vermont, so that I could photograph and film the foliage with my drone. By the way, if you want to see the final product
of the video that I put together, it’s cool, I’ll put a link down below in the video description.
So, because these photos are all in a row, I’ll just click on the first one, hold that
shift key and then, click on the last one. Now that I have them selected, here’s a simple
hot key to remember, command plus the letter N, as in Nancy, is the shortcut to turn a
group of selected photos into an album. Once you’ve done that, the next step is to rename
the event, since it will take on the name of the smart album, so let me call this “Droning
Vermont”. Now, I want to show you something. Let’s go
back into that smart album and look at the total number of photos at the top. As you
can see here, the number has dropped by the same number of photos that are now in that
album. So, all you really must do, is repeat those final three steps. Select the group
of photos, hit command N to turn them into an album, rename it and repeat. We still have
a few more tricks to go over so don’t go anywhere. We’ll be right back after this brief commercial
break. Now that you’ve learned how to use smart albums to organize one year’s worth of photos, now
we’re going to go over how to re-deploy that smart album, so that you can use it for other
years. Once again, let’s switch to my Mac. Now that we perfected this recipe for this smart album, we can quickly re-deploy it for
other years by secondary clicking on this smart album and then select “Duplicate smart
album”. By default, this duplicated smart album will have the same name, which we will
change momentarily, but at this point, let’s drag and drop it into my folder for 2018.
We will need to make just a couple of small changes so that this smart album works with
a different time span of photos and let’s start by just renaming the actual smart album
to make this a lot less confusing, so let’s secondary click on this smart album and let’s
go to rename and change it from 2019 to 2018. Now, to change that actual recipe, let’s secondary
click and select “Edit smart album” and from here, all we need to do is go into the recipe
and change the year. When you click OK, you’re good to go. So, once again, you would just
repeat those same steps of selecting a group of photos, hit command N on your keyboard,
rename the album and repeat. As you go through this process, at some point, you’re probably
going to encounter older photos that were not digital, which accidentally started showing
up in your smart albums for other years. Now, in order to correct this, just select that
group of photos and then go up here into the “Image Menu” at the very top of your screen
and select “Adjust date and time”. Ultimately, you don’t really need to know
the exact date, but this will determine the chronological order of your photos. So, my
advice is to just focus on getting the year right. That way, all your other photos from
a similar point in time will all be grouped together. So, there you have it, if you just simply
follow these steps, your photos will be organized in no time. If this video helped you, you
could help support my YouTube channel and my new production studio by making a financial
contribution of whatever amount you like either through Venmo at Tech Talk America, through
PayPal which you can do at my website or if you’d like to send a check through the mail,
the PO Box info is in the video description. Thank you so much for watching everyone. This
is David A. Cox, with Tech Talk America. Class dismissed.

100 Comments

1. Tech Talk America says:

Hey folks! If you have trouble with organizing the photos on your Mac, I think you're going to love this video. Today I'm going to teach you a workflow that involves using Smart Albums to help organize your library. Enjoy!

2. Hector Rodriguez says:

LOL I started to follow your steps, then when you said "as scary as it may seem take a deep breath click delete albums" I stop and continue to watch the rest of the video…. I got scared…lol

3. Douglas Bisset says:

Really liked that video – thanks!!

4. ApexRon says:

David, I have just short of 16k photos. I followed the instructions. I add the first rule for 2019 it shows 130 photos.However, when I add the second rule that number goes down to 65. Yet there are no other albums. Am I correct in believing this is a Photos bug?

5. Ihspwamh says:

Hi David, thank you for another great video. It really makes a lot of sense how you organize all pictures and videos in photos. However some people who already tried it including me, have a problem with pictures disappearing after creating the second rule. I checked all pictures within the range of one year and even gave them a new date, just for kicks. Unfortunately once I created the second rule again, all or most of the pictures went away, without creating any albums. Any thought on that?

6. Hillside Central Railway says:

Excellent presentation by a very professional presenter. No sign of “what’s up YouTube”….brilliant!!

7. The Jersey Biker says:

Hiya David and thank you for this great video… I have one question for you! Once I’ve selected & created the new album (Cmd + N) and the photos have moved into that new album, how come when I select and drag more photos that I want in that already created album do the photos remain in my smart folder?

8. Roger Arnold says:

I added all my photos to google photos and I'd like to change back to photos. Can you tell us how to do this?

9. blueskyfox99 says:

This is not working for me in Catalina. After I deleted my existing albums (about 50), I created the 2019 folder and the 2019 smart album following the directions in the video. However, adding the second rule (Album is not any) caused over a hundred photos to disappear from the 2019 smart album. Also, aside from my original albums being deleted, none of the changes I make in Albums show up on my iPhone or iPad.

10. FlyingAlex says:

Sorry that I ask that.. but is that somehow possible on Windows 10?🧐

11. Paul Goess says:

Thank you for this. So simple and easy. Definitely cleaned up the mess I had. Donation sent, good luck with the new studio.

12. Damon Stuart says:

With the Catalina OS update does this method still work?

13. Pro Truck Driver says:

Thanks David for this video. I learn something new on the Mac every time you make a video. Looks like I have some organizing to do with my photos.

14. M LK says:

Thx for the great tutorial! How many photos can be safely stored in photos? I have been scared to make large, as my old iphotos libraries would crash, and manybphotos were lost/corrupted. So i got in the habit of making seperate ‘photos libraries’ for each year, or at times when dedicated to a project 8eg, “home remodel” or “work photos”.) The drawback is that i can not access all photos at once, because only one library can be opened at a time. Lightroom is my newest way to organize, and to view all pics. This allows me to see the file structure on my drive without having to open the “viewer’ program (lightroom). I believe the file structure for Photos is hidden in ‘packages”. Hard to sort out pros and cons…what do u think? Is the new Photos program as robust and trustworthy as Lightroom? Maybe without the editing power of lightroom?

15. George Gomez says:

Great tutorial,
    David, I'm following your instructions step by step, however, when i create the 2019 smart album with your exact conditions, the album shows no pictures (ZERO). If i changed the Match all to Any of the following conditions, i do see pictures. any suggestions ?
    Thanks you.

16. Birgit Smetana says:

Nice technique, David! Thx for sharing!

17. Kathy Hab says:

Thank you so much for this!! What I have noticed is that all of the pictures do not show up in those albums on my iPad Pro though. Thoughts?

18. Linda G says:

Love to keep things organized and appreciate your tutorial SO MUCH! Question: What can I delete off my phone yet keep it in my iCloud storage as well as on my Mac.

19. Sam Ib says:

I’ve wrote you a few times but you never responds I just wonder how you make your living ? None of my business but you advertise for lessons and if you check two or three times I’ve asked you about it . Today I gave up on you and bought a book for beginners from Amazon and I guess I will start slowly learn Final Cut Pro X 10.4 thank you for not responding till today .

20. bruce h says:

Another great video David, thanks very much. I like my photos to be displayed in a particular order which I find is usually best using a unique title (as date captured doesn't always work easily across multiple phones/cameras) for each pic in an album & then sorting that album in title order. Prior to Catalina I could use iPhoto to achieve this along with PowerPhotos to change the iPhoto library to a Photos library & then merge libraries. If there are enough people to make a video worth while doing could show how a unique title can be given to each pic please?

21. Shrenik Salguna says:

Hi David, will this work for photos stored in iCloud, and will it be the same in my phone/iPad.

I couldn’t find smart albums in the iPhone albums. Is it possible to organize the photos in the iPhone?

22. Rob McWatt says:

excellent

23. Karel Kareltje says:

Hi David, it is not working on the Catalina OS in Dutch. Can it be a update problem?

24. Kenny Steven Fernández Torres says:

Does this was made on mcOs Catalina? Thank you.

25. Mike Emerson says:

I deleted all my albums. Started to do this and everything worked for one album. I had to stop and close the photos app. Now when I go back the "Album is not any" option shows "0 items matched". It's like photos thinks all my pictures are in an album now.

26. Jacki Jacks says:

Apple state that in the new Photos App in MacOS Catalina, It comes with its OWN DUPLICATE FINDER….. From Apples website – " YOUR BEST SHOTS" – " Photos intelligently showcases the best shots in your library, removing duplicates and clutter "

27. Gofor It says:

Awesome

28. Claudia Hantel says:

I love your ideas for organizing our photos. I have 1 problem. When I set up the rules, the 2nd rule “Album is any” shows my photos for that year but if I use your 2nd rule “Album is not any” my photos go to zero and show absolutely no photos for that year. What am I doing wrong? Thank you!

29. Marylin's Adventures says:

Omg! You are the best.. thank you so much.

30. Clip Inglis says:

How do I get my photos back fro google

31. Shiva Shankar Nagarajan says:

Thank you indeed for that.
    However I have a need to organise photos across calendar years but by event or location. Is that possible and would be great to have your inputs. Thanks.

32. Coral Rodriguez says:

Does this have to be done on Mac or can it be done on iPad Pro ?

33. Save Democracy says:

"Secondary click?" Really?

34. Larry Schad says:

Although Photos is convenient and this is a great way to organize your library, Photos is a space hog with multiple copies sprinkled throughout! Have you ever looked at the Pictures folder? Every photo has its own separate folder in its own directory. I use Lightroom 6, the last version before Adobe went to the ransomware model.

35. Keko Jones says:

Thanks pal

36. maomao shang says:

Thanks

37. Dean Zweck says:

Hi David, followed your advice, but when I add the second search filter on my smart folder it shows zero results. I have definitely changed the options to all, and album is not any

38. Surreal Adventure says:

Does anyone know if there is any way to not have videos sync to icloud? The only option I can find is for photo's and video. I would love to use iphoto and icloud together, but do a lot of video work, and icloud would fill up in no time…

39. Ross Pettigrew says:

I notice you had 137 photos in the smart album when you set the date range but this reduced to 118 when you added 'album is not any'. Where did these 19 photos go as there do not seem to be any other albums? I seem to lose the majority of my photos in any set year by adding the line 'album is not any'. It seems as if photos still thinks some are in an album somewhere even though I deleted them all at the start. Any ideas?

40. Mark Ah-low says:

Hi David….Going a little off topic…..I have 3 Mac computers, iMac 27inch, MacBook Pro 17inch, and a MacBook Air….and I want to back each up with "TIME Machine" is there a way to do this on ONE EXTERNAL 4TB Hard drive?….Any help would be much appreciated…….Thank you!

41. Bob Potter says:

I keep "full" photos on my iMac and in iCloud. I can reference them on my MacBook Air when I travel. I want to organize them using my Air but can't. Once they have been organized on my iMac, the Air sees the organized photos. Is there a work around that would allow me to use my Air to organize also?

42. Randy R says:

Bravo! Thank you!

43. mariocarnival says:

Hello! When you add a picture either to a SMART Album or to an album created, are we consuming space in the hard drive every time we drag same photos to many albums?

44. s b says:

I organized photos on my iphone according to subjects and would really like to copy them to my Mac. Unfortunately there is no way 😞 Thousands.

45. WhiPix says:

This did not work for me. I imported phots that I originally downloaded in Photoshop Elements.. However, the Smart Album did not copy them into the respective year's folder. However, if I download a photo directly into photos, your process did work. So going forward this works, but not for earlier photos dowloaded with Elements.

46. Nikolay Toskov says:

Great video, but unfortunately, it doesn't work on Photos 5.0 Catalina.
    You can not make a new folder into a folder.

47. Leonardo Perales says:

David, does this work on iPad? I don’t have a Mac. Only iPad and iPhone.

48. Coach PenGreen says:

I like your plan for organizing pictures. I am experiencing problems with the new "Photos" as of the Catalina upgrade. There are several things, but the most annoying is the degrading of the focus after making changes to a photo. 1) After making changes to picture that is in sharp focus, the photo takes a long time to process after hitting the "Done" button. Then when done, it is slightly less sharp. I have played with validating this problem and it is a recurring problem. I imported the same photo and looked at them side by side. There is no question that the photo with changes is not in sharp focus. I reverted the photo in question, and the sharp focus came back to the photo. I tried it on another photo and the same thing happened.

Have you noticed this problem? I cannot find it reported in the Apple web site or other comments on Catalina.
    The other problems: 2) Very slow, 3) When scrolling through photos, the photo comes up as very fuzzy and then clarifies.

49. dennis branum says:

Since OS Catilina has come on the scene “Photos” has really turned in to a non functioning app. I use the heck out of the smart album feature but now with Catilina that has turned in to a fight. It’s as though Apple let the unpaid interns have a go at it and then failed to have an adult check their work before releasing it.

50. TheWebStylist says:

GRT formula! 🙌🏻⚡️💪🏻💥👏🏻

51. Keeny Newton says:

Perfect.

52. MinhTri Dang says:

Thank you so much David , since I upgraded my Mac to Mac Catalina, my photos is mess up so bad ! I will follow your instructions, hopefully I can organize my 40,000 plus photo some days

53. Florian H. Wave says:

I hate the new view in the photos app so much! You only have one photo as preview in the "years", "months" or "days" view, so I always have to remember what year/month/day I took a certain photo, if I'm looking for a particular one. It even hides photos to get them into a grid! If I want to see the hidden ones, or see all photos, then I have to switch to "all photos", which is the endless stream of photos that we all hate from early versions of iOS. I was glad that this was gone. Now I have no other choice! I hate it so much! I wish I could downgrade again!!

54. Bob McAuley says:

As soon as I add the second condition there are no photos in the smart album. I wonder if the 'Media Type Album" is screwing this up. Any thoughts?

55. Mike Kennedy says:

Thank you for the great lesson. I am still having problems importing photos from years previous into the proper years. I have a ton of photos on a ton of chips. I have been retired now for 4 years and have photos and videos of our travels and family get togethers. I am currently running Catalina and am struggling to keep up with the changes. Thank you for your tutorials, Much appreciated.

56. Lars Anders says:

Thanks for the great video. I followed your very clear instructions and it all seemed to working fine, but when I came down a few years I noticed that some photos were missing. Then I also noticed that the app seemed to be working in the background on "My Memories"-folders, and that is where the missing photos seem to be located. What can we do to make sure ALL the photos get included when organizing them into "Smart Albums"?

57. Hp MSP says:

paypalled.many many thanks for teaching.appriciated

58. Martyn Standage says:

Did not think had the time or the patience to organize my photos, this system was super fast and easy, Thanks David

59. Cindy Hatfield says:

Totally amazing! Thanks so much David. Making my projects (and my life) easier.

60. Gary Cantrell says:

David!!!! Thank you for the value you bring in your videos. This was the easiest to understand and you explained in such a quick manner. The changing of the photo dates in particular blew my mind. I have about 50k photos and look forward to spending sometime later this week to get them FINALLY organized. THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!!!

61. Attila Abri says:

I followed everything to a T, in fact I did it twice. I got zero matches for 2019 with the outlined parameters …so frustrating.

62. Joe Siegler says:

This mostly mirrors what I did myself.

I have a stupid huge amount of photos in my collection. According to Photos, it's 99,893, with 1,949 Videos at the moment, so I'm well over 100k. Every single one of them in some sort of album/folder. I have about 15 master folder "categories", and then many albums inside those categories for events/years.

I couldn't fully commit to your concept of date only, because… I was a life long Windows person, and a lot of this collection started back on Windows, and I used to organize there with Picasa. In fact, when I first went Mac, I used the macOS version of Picasa, but when Google withdrew support for that, I bit the bullet and switched to Photos. Problem THERE is that the day I did the transfer of my collection, a whole lot of my collection now has THAT DATE as the photo date, so I did it solely the way you had it here, I'd be stuck, they'd all be in that same year folder, and thousands and thousands of them.

So basically, I started off with my folder structure matching what was imported from Picasa. I initially didn't have iCloud Photos because I didn't want to pay for that, so I used to use "Photo Stream" to get things to the collection. I viewed Photo Stream as a transport vehicle to get the photos from my phone to my computer.  Unlike so many people who view their phone as the "place to store photos" – I never did. Always viewed the phone as the device to take the pics, and then get them to the "master copy" on the computer.

Eventually (roughly a year and a half ago), I finally stopped using photo stream, and went to iCloud Photos. Given the size, I had to go for the 2TB option. 🙂

Where I do match your concept is I have a magic folder called "Pics with No Album", which is where I view "all new stuff" to the collection. I will move it to a folder from there, and if it's not in a folder, I just haven't sorted it yet. So the new smart album showing pics with no album is my "new Photo Stream" of sorts. I sort stuff out of there.

63. Gregory de Foy says:

Hey David,
    if you look at the moment you created the first smart album 2019, you'll see that you had 19 photos when the condition was "Album IS any" even though you didn't have any album since you deleted all of them. I have the same issue and can 't figure it out. Photos consider that some of my photos are in albums even though I deleted ALL my albums. Any idea what's going on here ?
    thanks for the video, very good content !

64. Lesley Glenn says:

BRILLIANT!!! THankyou.

65. Tony Stencel says:

This is still ridiculously confusing. Your explanation is fine, but this is just ludicrous that Apple has complicated this process so thoroughly.

66. Adalbert Pimentel says:

Hello By applying your exact conditions(Album/is not/any) to my 2019 Album I get zero photos. Please Help

67. Matthew says:

Nice video, I have about 85,000 photos and have no idea how to manage my library so I am going to give this a go and see what happens.

68. Matheepan Manoharan says:

very good Mr. Cox
    thank u so much for safe and efficiency handle my valuable memories…!

69. adudu D says:

thanks a lot

70. Carson Manning says:

Hello David I noticed when I delete a photo from my smart folders I set up . How do I get those photos back I did not want to delete them from my main photos folder . Thank you

71. Dancing Wolves says:

Great video….unfortunately it did not work with all the years, and I do not understand why. FOr example, photos from 2011 are not being included in the 2011 album, but it works with all the years from 2014 to 2019….any clue

72. ToNeSpOT says:

I don’t see any replies to comments but i will give it a go anyway. Can U also elaborate on how to organize on iOS where U are limited to no smart albums? Would you know how to create a smart album via shortcut application to show U all photos not within album? So not see option for is not within album. Thanks.

73. tequilaroks says:

Hi David, thanks for the informative video. Just a question, iPhone and Mac for some reason store multiple photos on their devices. Is there any way of deleting duplicates? Most of my memory is used up on photos however when you move a photo to a folder it still keeps the same photo in the original library albumi hence using more space. The reason I dont want to move entirely to an external hard rive is because it has all the information attached to it,(time, location etc) and once on a hard rive you can only view as thumbnails all jumbled up. thanks Dave.

74. Bill Callister says:

Hi David, Great tutorial, however, I seem to have messed it up? I selected a group of Photos and pressed Cmd N, and when renaming the album I realised I had an album already and wanted to place the photos in the album I already created, so I Pressed Cmd Z to undo. The new album disappeared, but so has the selected photos. I can see them in the Photos heading, so they have not been deleted. So I started again, deleting all albums and smart albums, but now the new smart album can not see the photos I originally selected from the smart album and put into the new albums. Don't know what to do. Why can't I see my photos in the new smart albums I create? Many thanks in advance.

75. Kshitiz Diwan says:

In case the rules are showing "no pictures (ZERO)" or incorrect count of picture in SMART album this could be happening because "Photos Library.photoslibrary" file on your Mac could be out of sync with icloud.

To make it work follow these steps:

1. Delete all albums from your photo library so that you have a clean slate.

2. Navigate to Macintosh HD/Users/[Username]/Pictures/
    3. Delete "Photos Library.photoslibrary" file (don't worry, this will not delete any pictures, it will just delete the library from your local PC)

4. Exit from photos app

5. Hold down the Option and Command keys while you open Photos again(this will open photos app in repair mode and rebuild library)

Wait until all photos/Videos are loaded.
    Now the Rules will work correctly. Enjoy

76. Meryk Pheonix says:

I followed the steps as directed and was able to set up all the albums by year, however, the photos that I successfully moved to albums within the yearly folders are still visible in Photos. I thought that they were supposed to be hidden so I could tell which photos still needed to be moved to a new home in an album. What did I do wrong? Just can't figure it out-

77. Amber Fennell says:

Question once you have created your albums you find you need to upload additional pictures will they automatically go into the designated folder for the correct year?

78. Kristin Kishi says:

Hi David! I’m learning a lot from you and am very appreciative that your videos explain things so well and get straight to the point. I have a question about deleting photos. I have so many photos that I want to delete so I was wondering what you suggest the best way to do this is? I have already purchased and deleted the duplicate photos but now want to go through and just delete the photos I don’t want anymore. Can you help me?

79. Lars Anders says:

Hi guys. I mentioned a problem a while back about not getting all my pictures included when doing David's method. Then I saw a comment here that the problem could be that my Photos Library was out of sync with iCloud, so I tried the method suggested to delete …/Photos Library.photoslibrary and restarting Photos by holding down Option/Command to rebuild the library. Unfortunately, my library did not rebuild. Any advise here?

80. Regina Richards says:

I deleted all my albums. Created the 2019 folder and album, as directed. I busily went through my 2019 pictures and put them into albums, when I realized many pictures from 2019, weren't showing in my 2019 smart album. I looked at all the photos, and saw my missing pictures, but they don't show in my smart album. I don't see them in any "album" the system created (bursts, screenshots, etc). So, why can't I see all my 2019 photo', in my 2019 smart album when they aren't in any albums? Thank you!

81. Randall Pearce says:

Hey David. Another great video. I’d like to see a video re managing contacts on the Mac as well as iPhone. I have thousands of contacts on my phone and I love have the full list organised on the Mac and then only sync the ones I want onto to the iPhone.

82. Kat Mac says:

Following instructions exactly and shows 0 photos on the second condition. Would love to figure out how to get this working. Loved your presentation.

83. Wendy C. says:

I’m not being fresh, but you have beautiful eyes!!

84. Tina Hamilton says:

When I control-click on an album, I get a menu that says"Get info/Play slideshow/ which then points me to some create options. I cannot get to the album to delets. Tried repeatedly.

85. Niels Lerche-Lerchenborg says:

Hi David. Absolutely brilliant video, and I have adopted your strategy on organising my photos. Just one small comment at timeframe 3:35. Click on the folder or album you want to sort alphabetically, then go to “View” on top of the screen, select "Sort", select "By Name"

86. darksweetgirl says:

Hi David I need help !! when I put Command N then make new album the picture on smart folder still stay. So I have new album with the pictures and the pictures also stay in smart album.When I delete the pictures in smart album, it deleted the pictures in new album… :(( what should I do?

87. Adam Williams says:

does not seem to work with the second condition on the smart album, lose lots of photos when that is applied. followed step by step also. Deleted all albums etc but for some reason when the second condition is applied photos from that year are removed and they are not in an album? Running current version MacOS January 2020

88. Donnie Neville says:

Omg! Great video! I wish I could do this on my iPad Pro. Thank you

89. Jennifer Butt says:

David when you delete the albums does this also delete my share albums (i have share albums with the family) Thanks.

90. Fil K says:

Hi Dave..great video. The problem was I followed your step by step procedure on organizing my photos and everything was great. I did 5 years worth! The next day I went in to google photos to check out the various albums …all of the year albums were GONE! All my hard work ou the door? Only albums showing when I click albums are the general people, places, things, videos, collages, animations, and movies. No year by year album? Any idea where they went?

91. flukom says:

Thanks!!! My photos are nice and organized on my Mac, on my iOS devices however………..
    Despite both being called Photos, with the same logo, sharing the same library, the Mac and iOS Photos app differ greatly in their organization and capabilities; the latter being severely limited: no smart albums syncing, no keyword assignment, different organizational structures……Very disappointing.

92. Mike Cremona says:

Very interesting if you have an Apple computer. I need to sort my I Phone Photos. Thanks

93. Joey P says:

David, while I feel this is an excellent way, I think there are still come "glitches." There are others that have asked the same question about when we add the criteria (Album/is not/ANY), we suddenly go from a big number in our YEAR album to ZERO. What is causing this? I do not have any other folders created. Can you help us?

94. reinhard lo says:

Thanks for this great video. Finally I get my photos neatly organized! Btw: I didn't delete all the old albums, but rather created a new folder called "Old Stuff" and moved them into it.

95. ManZle says:

Now I wish I'd have these options on Windows 🙁

96. Bjørn Knudsen says:

Great video as always, but something doesn't add up. If you look at 5:10, 1st condition is set, 137 items matches this condition. At 6:01, and second condition is set, only 118 items match the criteria set. How come? Shouldn´t these be identical at this point as he hasn't started organising his photos? I experience this issue myself. When 2nd condition is set I see my Mac leave out a whole bunch of photos. Any thoughts guys?

97. Gerardo Segura-Warnholtz says:

Dear David
    Thanks much for your tips, all very good and easy to understand. However, I have come across a glitch when trying to create a smart album. After deleting all my old files, and then a new Folder for a specific year and then a smart album, when I indicate the first rule for range of dates, it works. BUT, when I add the next rule for " Album-is not-any". The original number of photos captured under the first rule, drop down significantly (e.g. from 4000 to 700). It seams like the program continues to detect deleted albums that are not there anymore. I've looked on line, and this seems to be happening to other people too. I would happily sign up for one of your private lessons, but for now, this is the only issue I. would need to resolve. Any advise would be much appreciated. !! I will also happily donate to your fund to expand the business!

98. Richard Szoka says:

David, Drone video was outstanding, and music fit perfectly.

99. 0JReynolds says:

I have a question. This is my first time putting photos on a Mac. Do I have to list them by year? I usually have my files listed by name of the people the photo pertains to, can I still do that? Sorry if this sounds silly, I’m just learning to use a Mac computer. I’m going over as many of your videos as I can to learn.

100. Ivo Jesus says:

Really useful! Thanks a lot!